Thursday, May 2, 2013

Falling

        "Focus on what preserves the body in unexpected moments." Peter Twist
 
In the blink of an eye, everything can change forever.  Such an event is a fall. The Greater Los Angeles VA Geriatric Research Education Clinical Care and Affiliate developed a fall risk self-assessment that lets anyone assess their risk for falling.
 
Below are a series of questions to answer yes or no.

 
#1. I have fallen in the past year.
 
#2.  I use or have been advised to use a cane to get around safely.
 
#3.  I steady myself by holding onto furniture when walking at home.
 
#4.  I am worried about falling.
 
#5.  I need to push with my hands to get up from a chair.
 
#6.  I have trouble stepping up to a curb.
 
#7.  I have lost some feeling in my feet.
 
#8.  I take medication that sometimes makes me light-headed or more tired than usual.
 
#9.  I take medicine to help improve my mood.
 
#10.  I often feel sad or depressed.
 
Total up the "yes" answer.  If you scored 4 points or more, you may be at risk for falling.  To just add a short comment, several of these might be attributed to weak leg muscles.  Exercise could be a part of the Rx.  Feel free to share with anyone that might benefit from this information and for more information, visit www.cdc.gov/injury and www.stopfalls.org.