Thursday, November 21, 2013

Motivation

Many times I have had clients and class participants tell me as they walk in the door of the gym that they come to me for motivation to exercise and "get fit". Often I have bought into that theory of thinking if I try harder and smile more, this time I can motivate them to stay with the program.  I have read books about motivating people to be physically active, lose weight, and "get fit". I know the necessary steps to help keep someone on the right track. However, a few months ago I read an article in ACSM Certified News, "What Drives Your Clients To Be Well" by Margaret Moore. I felt a big sense of relief. Ms. Moore says that it is not a trainers job to motivate clients.  Instead, it is our job to help our clients identify and sustain their own motivation. One easy motivation to exercise is to find enjoyable activities. What happens, though, when you have done so many Zumba classes that you can't face another one?  All of a sudden you find yourself driving past the gym and going home after work. A more forceful, lasting motivation comes from within. Making a conscious decision to do something that is hard for a reward that is not immediate but long term takes diligence.  It means putting your feet on the floor early to workout before work instead of dragging yourself lazily through the day. By nature, we want instant gratification but the long range goals of a healthy weight or favorable bone density takes perseverance. It is hard!
.
.