Sunday, December 7, 2014

Supermarket Tales

Sunday's Wall Street Journal ran an interesting story, "10 Things Grocery Stores Won't Tell You".
Look for it on the internet for some interesting reading. I'll just peak your interest with a few ideas.
The average American family spends $102. 90 a week according to the Food Marketing Institute.
I want to meet that family!  David and I are a family of 2 and we never get out of our store for $102.90. Did you know that in the last 25 years the grocery cart has doubled in size?  So goes America! We find the need to fill it, fill us, and the obesity percentages continue to climb.
One of the 10 really hit home for us.  Our grocery store has recently been enlarged and rearranged.
On one side is produce and on the opposite side is the dairy.  Tell me that's not so that I don't have to walk all over the store and maybe fill my oversized grocery cart with more "stuff" that I didn't know I needed. Keeping us there longer gets us to part with more money. Don't let me mislead you.  I love  my grocery store. I go shopping with a keen eye.  Stick to the list. Most importantly, use what you buy. Remember the average household throws away $600.00 of food a year.  Try to not let good food go bad!