- Follow a healthy eating pattern across the lifespan. Eating patterns are the combinations of foods and drinks that a person eats over time.
- Focus on variety, nutrient dense foods and amount.
- Limit calories from sugar and saturated fats, and reduce sodium intake.
- Shift to healthier food and beverage choices
- Support healthy eating patterns for all.
How many hundreds of thousands of dollars did this piece of wisdom cost us? If this was really educational, we would not have the obesity problem leading to diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease. Are most of the overweight or obese people such because they don't understand which foods are "nutrient dense" and how to "limit calories from sugar and saturated fat"? I think we have a long way to go in educating our people about nutrition. It is a problem that crosses over all income brackets. Until then, the best place to start is to read food labels or find a nutritionist to show the right path.
Resource: ACSM Sports Medicine Bulletin Jan. 19, 2016