Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hollywood

One of the pleasures of my job is being able to spend time with other trainers. Sometimes it is to get a new idea and sometimes just to share gym stories. A former boss told me years ago as I was studying for a certification that I had learned a lot just by being around other instructors and trainers. That's still true. My daughter, Marie, shared a couple of ideas for ab training with me during the Christmas holidays. Last week some of our son's friends came to visit. One is a personal trainer and we had to talk about the TV fitness shows. It appears that trainers everywhere face the ever growing idea from clients that if they try hard enough, they can lose 5-10 pounds a week. Of course, the bigger issue here is the disappointment when it doesn't happen. What happens on TV is one thing, but what happens in real life is quite another. A weight loss of 1-2 pounds a week should be celebrated (not with food). Instead, a lot of times it is met with an attitude of frustration. Do I watch the TV fitness shows? Sure I do. They are fun but that's where it stops. I watch Project RunWay,too, but I'm not designing dresses. Any weight loss plan should be realistic. Whatever you do, make it something that can be a part of your life. Otherwise, the pounds might be coming right back. Ouch!