Friday, May 18, 2012

The Flight Attendant


You may not be aware of it, but this is National Women’s Health Week.  The purpose is simply to make women everywhere mindful of choices to be made that can make one healthier.  Choices like getting the necessary screenings and wearing a seat belt if you are not. During my many years as a fitness instructor, I have always encouraged women to exercise and to eat a healthy diet. You wouldn't believe the excuses I've  heard such as I have a full time job, two children to pick up from daycare at the end of a long day, dinner to prepare, homework to supervise and basically take care of everybody else.  I am reminded today, though, of the flight attendant or rather the emergency instructors they give before every flight.  They tell passengers that in the event of an emergency, an oxygen mask will drop from the cabin above. Parents with small children are to first put on their own mask before helping the child.  I guess if Mom passes out from lack of oxygen, she’s not much good to anyone else.