Friday, February 14, 2014

The Heart

Every time I find myself reading about how the body works I am amazed. The human body is awesome especially the heart.  It pumps blood every second of the day every day of your life.  That blood takes nutrients and oxygen to organs and tissue.  In the event of a heart attack, a blockage of blood flowing to the heart, the heart muscle can be damaged. Recently I reviewed with you the symptoms of a stroke so today I share the most common symptoms of a heart attack.

Chest discomfort, heaviness or crushing like an elephant on the chest
Pain that comes and goes usually with some type of exertion
Discomfort in areas such as arms, back, neck, jaw, or stomach
Cold sweat, nausea, or lightheadedness

Don't wait to call 911. Don't try to drive yourself to the hospital.  Remember to keep the aspirin close by such as in the night stand.  From what I hear, running around looking for a bottle of aspirin isn't going to happen.

February 14th is Valentine's Day and February is Heart Month.  Give your heart a lot of love.  Exercise. Eat a heart healthy diet.

Resource: Heart Arrhythmias: An Exercise Professional's Primer by Lynn Kravitz, PhD  IDEA Fitness Journal November-December 2013
Pam, my go-to person for questions about the heart.  She knows a lot about the heart and has a very big heart.