Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Weight Training

I have often heard that if you want to reshape your body, do it with weight training.  Well, it's not quite that simple. You can have a great workout training program, but if you are topping it off at Taco Cabana, the reshaping you are hoping for isn't going to happen. I read a few years ago that a women should work on building strength through her forty's and be in maintenance mode by the time she hits fifty. Forget that!  I am 59 and 1/2ish and I am still building strength.  Before I go much farther, let me share a word of caution. If you are about to start a strength training program, there are some considerations. Revisit my post on the Par-Q intended for those of us between the age of 15-69. If you have a history of heart disease or high blood pressure, if you are on meds for heart disease or high blood pressure, if you have experienced chest pains or dizziness, if you have respiratory issues such as asthma, if you have had a recent surgery, or if you know of a reason why starting an exercise program might not be a good idea, consult a doctor before starting.  Don't pick up a weight and then think "Oops".  Be smart.  The cost for a trip to the ER is pretty high even with great insurance.