Friday, July 4, 2014

Independent Living

Since today is July 4th and a day of celebration in the states, I think of independence.  Since some of my work is with older adults, I hear the word independent quite often.  For many of them, remaining independent is a goal.  Much of the work they do with me is aimed towards independence.  The rest of us probably take it for granted.  As we get older, we find that there are certain things we can't do anymore and quite often just say "I'm getting older" or "I'm not as young as I use to be". We are getting older and some chores need to be left to a professional.  However, we can take measures to insure that we remain independent longer. Exercise is one. A healthy diet is another.  These two combined will help to keep us on our feet and moving forward. It takes a little work and some sacrifice, but later on it might be worth it.