Friday, October 31, 2014

Ebola

We hear quite a bit about it in the news: Ebola.  It is something to seriously consider although I have to admit that I am getting tired of hearing about it.  Maria Anglin  gave her opinion in the San Antonio Express News Sunday the 19th comparing Ebola to the flu. For many years the flu has taken hundreds of thousands of lives particularly endangering the well being of older adults.  There is a flu vaccine available and for whatever reason (some justified) many skip the flu vaccination yearly.  Saturday in the hair salon as the conversation moved to Ebola and the flu one remarked that she had not had the flue shot for years. I brought out the fact that if I get the flu because of the nature of my job, I can't work for at least a week maybe more. Being deathly ill is the first consideration of the flu. Lost wages is another. We won't even mention the cost of just having the flu. It will be a lot more than the shot cost which was nothing. If a vaccine is available tomorrow for Ebola, will there be long lines for it or will so many people simply forget until it is too late?