Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Exercise Motivation

For years as a personal trainer I have felt part of my job is to motivate the people that I work with to continue to exercise even when they are on their own without me as a coach.  There have been times when I felt I was trying to pump up a tire with a hole.  I finally learned that while there are a lot of issues I can contribute, to motivate comes from within. Given the fact that fifty percent of those starting an exercise program will drop out during the first six months, there has to be a reason such that exercise moves from "maybe" to  "must". When we are younger our main focus for exercise is to look better, but as we get older the reasons change.  Some exercise for better bone density and some might exercise for better core strength. Sometimes losing weight is a focus for exercise and if it doesn't happen, it is easy to quit.  I hear motivation to exercise sometimes in conversation about an upcoming event like a high school reunion or a wedding. Occasionally I hear motivation in line with health problems such as high cholesterol or high blood pressure. It might be easier to get to the gym when you have a monster like a health problem chasing you, but being proactive is a better way to go. It is hard in the beginning, but do it anyway. It is truly one of the best things you can do for yourself.