Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Lessons of a Personal Trainer

I tend to save old magazine; the really good ones.  I have several months of back issues of  IDEA and ACSM's Health and Fitness Journals even though I also have the digital versions. Recently as I checked out the table of contents in last December's issue I saw the article "What are the top three lessons you've learned as a personal trainer?"  Do you want to know mine?  Here they are.  I will share four.

#1.  Don't judge a book by it's cover.  Appearance is definitely part of a good assessment, but it is not the most important part.  I have often had clients that looked fit and ready for anything, but not really and some have surprised me with how much strength they already had. I quite often tell my people (yes, I am possessive) that I like to start low and add on rather than start high and lead someone to an injury.

#2.  Don't assume that my personal workout is the one everyone wants.  Some people feel like they haven't worked hard if they can make it to the car without help!  There are others that want a good solid moderate intensity workout.  Either one is great. 

#3.  Everyone has a different perception of pain.  There is a difference between an exercise being a challenge and an exercise being painful.  I never want to cross the line to pain.  Even though I might repeat this every session, I watch for the face or the body language that says "this hurts".  When  I hear "No, it's not bad.  I can do it." I know someone is going down a treacherous path and I take the weights!

#4.  Enjoy my work!  My job is a blessing to my life.  With every session one goal is to bring joy to someone else's day!

Resource:  IDEA Health and Fitness Journal, November-December 2015, tricks of the trade