Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Bosu Push-ups


For many who take weight lifting seriously, push-ups are considered a gold standard for chest work.  It's a challenge to lift one's body weight. A push-up works the pectoralis major, the anterior deltoids and the triceps.  Other muscles fall into action here as well keeping the core, shoulders, and hips still.  Really all the joint movement one should see doing  a push-up is in the arms.  Everything else is still just going along for the ride. Keep in mind that there are more than a few variations for the traditional push-up and each has it's own unique advantage.  While I start some of my participants with standing push-ups using a bar or the wall, the traditional modified push-up is done on the knees and prayer might be a part of the experience for some! From the modified there is the standard, the decline, one-leg push-up, push-up with feet on a Swiss ball, etc.  The push-up I do most often now is the Bosu push-up.  I can keep my wrist straight taking pressure away from my joints.  With the rounded dome side down (reverse of the picture) using the flat service for the push-up, I doubt there are muscles in my body not called into action.  You might try it.