Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Brain Health

I have just finished reading USE YOUR BRAIN TO CHANGE YOUR AGE by Daniel G. Amen, M.D.  I have posted previously about other books from this author.  This particular one was a "find" at a used book sale.  I was charged $.50, gave the seller $1.00 and told him to keep the change.  I got far more value than $1.00. As you can guess from the title, it is about taking care of your brain and although you might think that the brain takes care of itself; not so.  There are lifestyle changes that one can make, if needed, to have a healthier brain.  One piece of advice that Dr. Amen is adamant about  is that if you need to make a change do it now.  Not this afternoon, not tomorrow or next Monday when most diet and fitness plans are implemented, but now, this minute.  If it is important, do it now!  One of my favorite quotes from this book is actually from The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis. "The gradual process is of no use at all...this moment contains all moments."  Even is you pay more than $1.00 or check it out from the library, the book has value.  The internet is full of good information concerning a healthy brain as well.  Don't wait until you find the car keys in the refrigerator or forget your sister's name.  Don't wait until you find yourself saying, "Oh my gosh.  Do I have Alzheimer's". Get started now!