Thursday, July 28, 2016

Why Am I So Tired All The Time?

When I type in "why am I" and search the internet I find suggestions that finish the statement such as  tired, dizzy, so tried and so tired all the time.  When I go a step further and type in "why am I tired" I am directed to why am I  tired all the time, tired after eating, tired in the morning, etc. After typing in "why am I so tired all the time" the suggestions are almost endless. Maybe you have found yourself looking for a fix. Before I go any further, let's assume that there are no medical problems causing tiredness.  Let's assume your doctor has checked you and cannot find a medical reason why you are so tired all the time.  With that in mind, here are a few things to consider.

#1.  Lack of sleep.  The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute says that adults need 7-9 hours of  sleep each night and school age children need 10.  Who is sending their children to school tired each day?  In corporate America, getting by on less is almost seen as earning a badge.  We are learning now about the risks of not getting enough sleep.  I will post more about this at a later date, but for now lets agree that getting less sleep than needed can bring on fatigue.
#2.  Dehydration.  One of the signs of dehydration is tiredness.  When thinking about how much water you need daily the rule of thumb is 8X8 or eight, eight ounce glasses a day.  Dehydration not only makes a body tired, but it can give one brain fog.  If you are not already drinking your 8, this is one to try.
#3.  An unbalanced diet.  It is easy to grab what is available and quick, but available and quick doesn't always give you a balanced diet. Keep your protein, carbohydrates and fats in the proper proportions throughout the day.  Combating tiredness with simple carbohydrates laced with sugar will pull you down, not pick you up!!
#4.  Inactivity.  Sitting behind a desk or on a couch for long periods of time will make one lethargic.
Working on your endurance will increase your energy daily.  At the very least, Sit Less Move More!