- If you eat processed foods, stop it as much as possible.
- Restaurants are for special occasions. Limit your visits.
- Buy real food.
- Read your nutrition label and remember it is a value per serving.
- Rinse items like beans to rinse off excess salt.
- Sodium can vary for some items according to brand. Compare brands for nutritional information as well as cost.
- Don't blindly trust others with your food. My brother had to resort to eating hospital food a month ago and with his tray came the nutritional information. At the end of the day, his three meals combined had over 4000mg of sodium. And if you want to know the biggest threats, check out The Salty Six Infographic.
Resources: American Heart Association, CDC website