Monday, July 31, 2017

Everyone Has A River To Cross

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."  Lao Tzu

I am a sucker for a good weight loss story but this one did not have the ending I expected. A man tipping the scales at 400 pounds woke up barely able to get out of bed.  As he passed a mirror he caught a glimpse of himself and knew he had to do something.  What a wake up call! What a single step!  After doing all of the wrong things like trying "diets" and spending hours in the gym he reached out to a friend/trainer who got him on the right path. Without question it was hard.  He knew that from the beginning but with perseverance and making some tough choices he lost over 170 pounds within a reasonable amount of time.  What brought tears to my eyes was not the tips shared for successful weight loss but what he said as he reached his goal. 
"Finally the biggest and maybe the most important lesson I am learning as my journey is progressing is that I can start to open my eyes to see and understand the challenges other people face, obesity related or not.  As I was losing the weight, I noticed that there was a lot of hurt in the world. By learning to identify and understand the challenges people face, perhaps I can be a source of inspiration and motivation."  It took me a lot of years to realize that everyone has a mountain to climb.  Everyone has a river to cross.  

ACSM Certified E-News For Certified Professionals.  One Mans Journey To Losing Weight and Gaining Control of His Life.