Monday, September 18, 2017

A "Diet" May Not Be The Answer

The church computer had a mind of its own Sunday morning as it sent part of my post out prematurely. Some of you will have comments about that.  Here is what should have been sent.

I am the person that put out $5.00 for 15 plus issues of Time.  I actually thought I would become more up to date with world events, but not so.  However Time quite often has beneficial information about healthy eating and exercise. Yes, I am surprised and surprised to find it to be quality information not colored by opinion.  In The Truth About Weight Loss Alexandra Sifferlin writes about diets, metabolism, and exercise featuring quotes from others that have conquered their problem. Our country has an obesity rate of 40% and an even higher percentage for the overweight.  Ms Sifferlin brings to our attention that one diet does not work for all.  Everyone has to find their own way.

Picture this.  A group of 6-8 ladies are having lunch and as the dishes are cleared away one of them begins to talk about her successful weight loss and her "diet".  Body positions change and ears lean in.  She has lost a noticeable amount of weight.  I would guess that more than one of those ladies left the group thinking  " I might try her diet" and if so might be disappointed.  In my group sessions I quite often hear one sharing diet tips. Most often it's about the low-carb diet.  I cringe and change the subject.

Washingtonmonthy.com calls the weight loss industry a 60 billion dollar a year business.  That's a lot of money!  If weight loss is an issue for you, find your own way.  Just don't jump on the band wagon and order in what works for a friend.  The TV, the internet, magazines on any given day are fighting for your money.  Keep it.  There's a right way to do it and I don't see marketing for it yet.

Resource: Time June 5, 2017 The Truth About Weight Loss by Alexandra Sifferlin
Washingtonmonthly.com