Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Corn and Blueberries

I have to admit that I have never been a great cook. I would love to be, but never invested the time to do so. My spinach enchiladas are pretty good and I have a couple of recipes for chicken that are acceptable. Key lime pie is always a favorite when Marie and Dee come home. Therefore, you won't find me sharing recipes very often. I would be more apt to ask for yours.

However, last week a friend shared with me a recipe for corn and blueberry salad that is delicious. In fact, I made it for a church dinner and it was a hit. So with the 4th upon us, many of you will be getting ready for a picnic or barbecue and you might like to add this to your menu. It is well worth the time involved. I think I also need to give "Better Homes and Garden" a little credit here.

6 ears of fresh sweet corn, husked
1 cup of fresh blueberries
1 small cucumber, sliced
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup of cilantro
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (protect your hands)
2T lime juice
2T olive oil
1T honey
1.2 tsp. ground cumin

1. Cook the corn in boiling salted water about 5 min. When cool, cut the corn from the cobs.
2. In a serving bowl, combine corn, blueberries, cucumber, red onion, cilantro, and jalapeno. For the dressing, in a screw-top jar combine lime juice, oil, cumin, honey and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cover and shake well. Add to the salad and toss. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Serves 6-8.

You probably won't see another recipe from me for quite some time. Enjoy!