Friday, December 20, 2013

Change

I am about a third of the way through "The Spectrum" by Dean Ornish, M.D. So far, I am impressed.  I am not one to encourage New Year's resolutions, but I do believe in setting goals to accomplish anything worthwhile.  Dr. Ornish writes about two basic ways to make sustainable goals toward a healthy lifestyle. One is to make small gradual changes.  An example would be to start your exercise program by walking 10 minutes a day and gradually increase your endurance. The second approach  I don't think I have ever recommended, but obviously it works for some. Make huge lifestyle changes all at once.  His point is that big changes bring bigger changes and makes one feel better faster.  Feeling better is motivation to continue. If you are considering making lifestyle changes, you might try one of the two, a little at a time, or jump in with both feet!  Remember that tried and true saying, "until you write it down, a goal is just a dream".  Journal!

Resource: The Spectrum  Dean Ornish, M.D.