Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Kale

I have to admit that it has only been in the last 10 years that I became a fan of kale.  My husband's dermatologist told him he needed more vitamin K. After checking with the pharmacist, I learned that the only way to get sufficient Vitamin K was with a doctor's prescription. The doctor, however, would not write the prescription.  As it turns out, too much vitamin K is not a good thing either and the doctor was trying to be cautious. Vitamin K can interfere with blood clotting. Little did he know that David that would never overdose on a vitamin.  So I had to look for other sources and found one of them to be kale.  There are a lot of advantages to including kale in your diet.  One cup has only 35 calories.  It can be sauteed or steamed as you would spinach or included in a salad. My daughter-in-law sent me a text with the ingredients for a juice with kale. Kale chips are great and so easy to make! Kale does have a lot of vitamin K.  One cup has 1327% of RDA of vitamin K.  It also has generous amounts of Vitamin A and C.  Kale has powerful antioxidants that help to protect against growth of various cancer cells and many other wonderful healthy benefits.  Enjoy!

Resource: Tufts University Health and Nutrition Newsletter
www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4408