Monday, March 9, 2015

The Serenity Prayer

I know I have  written about the value of exercise as we age. It is not just exercise and a healthy diet that makes a difference when aging.  Aging gracefully also calls for aging with a purpose.  Although retirement  brings a new set of issues, it is important to remain healthy as long as possible as well as helpful to others. For example, one of my older adults, a retired school teacher, now volunteers her time as a tutor for an after school program at her church. Among other things, my husband David has been in training for the last seven months to be a Stephen Minister and was commissioned on Sunday morning. It will look good on his resume'. My Mother has a second hand store at the retirement center where she lives donating the money to the League of The Good Samaritan. It is important to stimulate the brain as well. It doesn't just sit there on top of the head soaking in the smarts.  Reading and cross word puzzles are two well known ways to challenge the brain.  Luminosity is a website that provides online tools helping to maintain brain power and focus on memory and attention. There are others as well.  Enjoy the 30 day free trail and subscribe if you find it helpful.  Stay smart!  At any age we experience living with stress.  Attitude always remains important.  I was told last week that sometimes you just have to get your mind around what is happening.  Everything considered, James A. Peterson says the dictates of the Serenity Prayer can be more than helpful for aging. " God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. "

Resource: Take Ten, James A Paterson, PhD., FACSM ACSM's Health and Fitness Journal
March/April