Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Protein Bars

It is easy when you find yourself away from home and starving to stop at a convenience store for a snack.  Protein bars are plentiful almost everywhere.  Be sure to check the label for nutritional information for more than just protein.  I checked three.  One of the bars (chocolate chip cookie dough flavor) is delicious and does have 20 grams of protein.  That's a big serving of protein for about 190 calories.  Of the 190 calories, 70  are fat calories which includes 3 grams of saturated fat.  The second was a favorite of mine many years ago.  That is until I realized for 240 calories I consumed 26 grams of sugar.  Hey, they should taste good.  A third one, again depending on flavor choice, can cost 200 calories with 120 of them fat calories.  You also get 10 grams of sugar for the 7 grams of protein.  Some bars have artificial sweeteners which  might leave you with a sick stomach. I am not against protein bars.  I just bring this to your attention so that you pay attention to the nutritional label.  Be sure to get what you want as the name can be deceiving.  When I am going to be away from home, I take snacks with me packing my little cooler if necessary.   Even on Sunday morning I have half an apple before church and some almonds after.  No fidgeting in church because I can only think of my hunger.