Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Vacations

Today I was asked by my oldest client, "Did you exercise while you were on vacation?" and my answer to her was "no".  For many years vacations always involved trips to the hotel gym or maybe a track around a city park. In the past years I have appreciated the value of a break and for me it is two fold. 

  • I need a mind/body break.  I workout 6 days a week and at some point I just need to let it go to appreciate it mentally and physically.

  • The gym and exercise is  my job.  It's a great job, but it is my job.  A real vacation is a break allowing me to come back to my clients refreshed. 

If you were my client about to take a summer vacation and asked for a prescription for exercise for your trip, I would tell you to be active, go for a walk; daily if possible.  If you really want to do more, look to body weight exercises for variety. Don't pick up a weight or look for a fitness ball.  By definition," a vacation is a period of suspension of work, study, or another activity; usually used for rest, recreation, or travel;  freedom or release from duty, business, or activity".  Enjoy your vacation spending your time with the people you love doing what you love. If you need someone to tell you that it's OK to take a break from exercise, this is it!